Wednesday, August 4, 2010

i got my site!

so I will be spending the next two years in.....

CAJAMARCA! thats a good thing. If anyone feels like stalking me and googling it, the exact place is llama, which is in the city of chota, which is in the providence of Cajamarca. 930 people live in my community, and I'm pretty way out there. My total trip time is on average 26 hours from Lima. Lima to Cajamarca is 15ish hours, then to the city chota is 6 hours, then another 5 hours to my site! BUT, good thing is because I'm so far away, I get an extra day of vacation when I travel. And I live about 2 hours from the closest volunteer. My room is currently being added to my house..not sure about the water situation or much. But I do know I'm by foothills. I leave this Sunday to meet my family!! ahhh! I will post back more later when I find out more descriptions. I do know they want me to be creating my own programs and projects for 'underprivileged youth,' helping out with programs with the catholic church, teaching in the schools and helping with tutoring, and teaming up with other leaders in the community to work together on other projects.

In other news............
The highlight of these past few weeks would have to be when  I went to field based training, where I went with a group to a possible site and observed what the volunteers did and participated in the activities. It was cool because it showed me some stuff I could be doing when I get to site. We taught a lot in schools or non-informal places. We did a session on self esteem, one on nutrition, one on English, and we just played games with one. I had to speak in spanish when I taught and I failed miserably the first time! However, the second and third time was a whole lot better and I think people actually understood me. We also got to go on a tour of the ruins of the incans, that was interesting!

from top to bottom: Ninos playing the drums outside the afro-peruana museum in one of the volunteer's sites; watching youth in a school teaching a lesson to their peers after we spent the first hour teaching them the same thing;aaand a really cool bridge.  there's this river thats not crossable by car, so theres this huge bridge that goes across where local villagers cross all the time.


thats all for now! as usual, I'm having problems uploading but hopefully i can put more up later.

2 comments:

  1. Me and google are stalking you as I type. Will you have an internet connection to continue posting? You had better! Don't make me come down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    What a challenge you have. We're thinking of you. Your Uncle Jim and Aunt Joanell and Marielle are coming tomorrow along with your mom and dad and maybe Scott and Rachel. No doubt we will be talking about you. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

    Aunt Marjorie

    ReplyDelete